March 3, 2022
Sprinkler and Fire Suppression Engineer/Designer
Umbra is an engineering firm that specializes in life safety, security, and fire protection, including commissioning of life safety and fire protection systems (CAN/ULC S1001). Umbra is an industry pioneer devoted to perfecting fire and life safety codes, even participating in collaboratively writing the 2011 national standard, CAN/ULC S1001-11 – Integrated Systems Testing of Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems), which includes the requirement of an Integrated Testing Coordinator (ITC) to oversee commissioning.
A sister company to Williams Engineering Canada, Umbra works across government, institutional, educational, commercial, and industrial sectors. Our team includes both specialized electrical engineers and CFAA journeymen electricians who provide superior, reliable life safety and security system designs and field verifications.
Reports to: Team Lead or Engineering Manager or Managing Director
Based at: Western Canada (Remote first work environment with the option to work in one of Umbra or Williams Engineering offices)
Position Purpose: As a Sprinkler and Fire Suppression Engineer/Designer, you are a fully qualified engineer/designer and will work closely with the Team Lead/Project Manager/Managing Director, assisting on various engineering tasks in projects, and contributing to the technical competence and production requirements of the discipline. You will also provide exceptional customer service and coordination assistance with internal and external project partners (consultants, contractors, etc.).
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Produce Building Permit and Construction documentation principally for sprinkler and fire suppression projects.
- Coordinate with all disciplines, extract and relay relevant information for complex problems.
- Possess strong knowledge of provincial and local building codes, primarily in British Columbia and Alberta
- Prepare or assist preparing fee proposals.
- Exercise independent judgement in various engineering tasks.
- Provide guidance to junior design staff, this includes reviewing design and construction documents and ensuring technical standards are met.
- Take part in the internal quality control process.
- Share design expertise with other offices.
- Prepare technical design for a variety of the following:
– Detail design of Fire Suppression Systems including design layout and hydraulic calculations, and
– Equipment selections and specifications, and
– Draft and review systems using AutoCAD and Revit MEP.
- Effectively resolve mechanical conflicts with contractors during the construction phase.
- Resolve technical issues and cost implications.
- Conduct regular construction administration tasks such as site reviews and write site review/site instruction/change order reports.
- Adhere to the company and client safety policies and practices.
- Perpetuate, clarify, and embody Umbra Purpose and Core Values.
- Have the ability to apply for a Federal security clearance in order to work on institutional projects as required. Must be able to qualify for ISS reliability status clearance to work in the Umbra Environment.
- Teammates are required to adhere to the company policies and guidelines as well as the company and client safety policies and practices in effect at any given time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A graduate from a recognized University or Fire Training college.
- 10-20 years of experience in Buildings Engineering; specifically in the design and construction administration of Sprinkler and Fire Suppression Systems.
- P. Eng designation is preferred.
- May also consider L. Eng, or P.L. Eng designation.
- Proficient in AutoCAD; Revit experience an asset.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a person who listens well, respects diversity of opinions and has an open, clear and succinct communication style.
- Knowledge in design software such as Elite Fire Software or other Fire Suppression software.
- Knowledge of the NFPA and other design standards required for sprinkler and fire suppression systems.
- Application knowledge of Umbra systems and programs (including Vision, MS Office, AutoCAD, Revit MEP)
- Understanding of the following:
– Have a working knowledge of Project Management such as scope, schedule and budget.
– Able to identify innovative technical approaches to mechanical engineering challenges.
– Ability to identify risks – satisfy client needs/ our needs.
– Ability to accurately apply codes and regulations.
– Ability to coordinate with all disciplines, extract and relay relevant information for complex projects.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter online at: https://careers-williamsengineering.icims.com/jobs/2042/sprinkler-and-fire-suppression-engineer-designer/job?in_iframe=1